Friday 20 January 2012

Million Pound Drop Live.

Before tonight I never knew tension, I thought I did, having gone through numerous important exams and  sporting finals.  However, no occasion I have ever experienced, no feeling of nervousness I have ever been through could have prepared me for what I went through tonight.  As I sat in front of my laptop screen playing along, the feeling of parting with my imaginary million pounds was like, I would imagine, the feeling a frost-bite victim goes through when he has to decide to part with several of his toes.  In short, it was tough.  And what makes matters worse is Davina McCall, her shrieking hysterics do nothing to calm one's nerves.  I soldiered on nevertheless.  My girlfriend playing alongside me via Skype was a helpful addition to proceedings (she knew that Jedward had once had an audience with Barack Obama) and I feel that we bonded over the whole process.  It turns out you need a specific set of attributes to perform well in this particular game and excitableness is not one of them, nor is a temper; one quickly followed the other as I lost my initial million pounds on a question about Andy Murray: it turns out the irrepressible and charismatic Scot progressed furthest in the French Open in 2011 rather than the the US.  I bet even he didn't know the answer to that; when all you experience is disappointment I'd imagine it all rolls into one miserable blur.  Anyway, I digress, back to the game.  I got into the swing of things pretty quickly and got over my attachment to my imaginary potential fortune somewhat and realised that one of the attributes you do require in this game is the ability to be bold and trust your instincts (its not real money after all).  I progressed well but hit a stumbling block when faced with a question about the A Team which is well before my time, so much so that I don't even have the motivation to do the leg work to find out what decade it graced.  In the face of adversity I recalled a lesson I'm sure I was taught by a wise man at some point in my life 'When in doubt, go for B A Baracus'.  I did and it paid off.  Emma (my girlfriend) went for Dirk Benedict. Schoolboy error.  After an hour and a half of nothing but tension and frayed nerves I came out with a mythical fortune of £250,000 which I now intend on using to not pay off  my student loan or go on holiday.  It is testament to my social life that this was the most fun I've had on a Friday night for some time.  Get involved and you too could win a fictitious fortune!

No comments:

Post a Comment